Friday, March 28, 2008

Hey Hey, Ho Ho, These Emo Punks Have Got to Go!

Anti-Emo riots in Mexico?
A series of attacks on dyed-hair, eye-makeup-wearing emo kids began in early March when several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage in Querétaro, a town of 1.5 million about 160 miles north of Mexico City.

Well, that practically demands I reference this:

All joking aside (and I have to admit it is mildly amusing in a perverse way), I have to come down on the Ghost of a Flea side of this argument and condemn any organized attacks on individuals because of the way they dress, etc. While 'emo kids' are generally an easy target for mockery and abuse (something I'm not immune to nor do I necessarily condemn, per se) the crossover to physical violence should always be looked on with dismay. As ridiculous as their clothes and attitudes are, they aren't hurting anyone with the possible exception of themselves and certainly don't deserve public beatings as punishment for youthful (and moronic, but I repeat myself) fashion mistakes.

So, giggle if you must but think of how you'd feel if it was your emo cousin being beaten because he likes eyeliner.

Okay, I'm serious, stop giggling.

No comments: