Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Cutesy Questions

When did asking a politician a yes or no question become 'cutesy?:'
“I had the feeling that at the end of that last debate we were about to get into cutesy land again,” [Bill]Clinton told some 3,000 members of the American Postal Worker’s Union at a convention.

[...]

“It’s fine for Hillary and all the other Democrats to discuss Governor Spitzer’s plan. But not in 30 seconds — yes, no, raise your hand,” he said.

Forgive me if I lack nuance but isn't the very purpose of a debate to determine in which manner a politician would vote on any given issue? Isn't a yes or no answer precisely what we want and deserve?

When sitting with my friends debating it is rarely that simple as we get into the meat of an issue. There are so many angles of attack you use when trying to find your opinion and while this particular issue would be an easy 'no' for me there are many that I would need more than thirty seconds to explain and end up with 'I don't know' as my answer. That's fine for a moron rube like me.

But I'm not a politician. I'm a moron. Hillary Clinton is running for President of the United States. Isn't it the very job description of a politician to make yes or no decisions on policy? I know this may be simplistic but doesn't voting on a bill basically reduce that issue to a yes or no (wide) stance? Isn't deciding to veto a bill a yes or no position? Is it too much to ask that a politician be asked these simple fucking questions during debates and that they then in turn provide a simple fucking answer? Aren't we owed that? Can't we ask a simple fucking question without Billy Jeff taking time off from banging whores in South Beach to bite his lip and wag his finger at us?

I guess I just have this zany expectation that a politician running for the most powerful position in the world, someone who spends every waking hour preparing and planning for that election, would have spent the time to iron out something as basic as whether illegal immigrants should be given official state documents. Furthermore I expect to not be lectured by a philandering bullshit artist who can't keep his pants because I have the audacity to demand a clear answer to a question a four year old could answer.

Call me crazy.

No comments: